We had an, how to say…. overwhelming response about the sprint. Initially we were planning to manage the sprint in realtime, overseeing work, assigning tasks, and keeping tabs on people. However, since it looks like we underestimated the mass of people interested in participating, we’ve decided to go for a ‘freer’ approach so that we don’t go insane. What this means is that we won’t be managing versions or restricting people’s options on what to model. Here is how we’ll proceed:
We made the list of all the objects and props we need modeled on the Blender Wiki.
On that page you’ll be able to edit the page, and mark your name next to an item as you begin to work on it. We think this is a good idea to get a sense of what’s being worked on, and what models are being neglected.
So here’s how it will work:
1. Get on IRC and log into the #Blenderdurian channel
2. Go to the Asset wiki page here:
3. Pick an asset
4. If you have questions about it, ask them on #Blenderdurian
5. Start modeling (and texturing, if you wish) and post your progress on IRC as you go along so we can critique and direct you
6. Your file should be named this way: yourname_category_assetname.blend . (No capital letters please.) Upload your work to http://www.blendswap.com/ when you’re done.
Important Note: The models uploaded to the “Durian” Category on BlendSwap.com will be licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution “By” 3.0 License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ unless otherwise stipulated by the artist. If you incorporate any external textures or other data into your work, make sure they are under a compatible license (CC BY, under the public domain, or CC0) and attribute the original source in your submission. (Please put this information in an open text window in your .blend.)
It may take some time to be approved and made public.
7. When it comes online, if you want to be especially awesome, take your Blenderswap model page (the one you just uploaded) and add the url to the Asset page underneath the item listed. It will be easier for us to track the models at the end of the day. Do not overwrite other people links! It’s ok to have several versions of the same asset.
8. Go back to step two and start again! If you don’t know what to pick in the asset list, ask us, we’ll guide you! 🙂
SOO! You can get started right away. Have fun! However, the sprint officially begins, still, at 2:00pm +1 GMT on Saturday. During this time we’ll be streaming video live and will be available in the IRC chatroom to answer questions.
–The Durian Team